Christmas is one of the biggest shopping seasons of the year. What components of the season should I partake in? Shopping excessively does not align with my goals. My desire is to have a Christmas that aligns with my goals, my beliefs, and my choices, not a Christmas that someone else has decided I should have. To assist with that overarching goal I have come up with a few milestones for my self this season.
- I buy meaningful gifts.
- I don't junk up peoples lives.
- I use the season as an excuse to spend more time with family and friends.
- I end the season better then I started: Physically, Mentally, Socially, Organizationally, etc.
The steps required
From where I am now, how do I reach those milestones. I am new to this so what I have decided are just guesses of what will bring me closer to success, I will need to review and make course corrections if my current ideas don’t help my future self.
- In order to be able to end the season better then I started I will need to inform family and friends what would be a good gift for me. I am super grateful for the people who are willing to spend their resources to buy me gifts, however I don’t want to feel obligated to keep objects that do not fit in my life. This to me is particularly sticky, I don’t want to have my friends and family feel stressed about purchasing me gifts. So instead of receiving objects then giving them away or causing stress to people around me trying to purchase a gift for me I want to help inform people around me what gifts would add value to my life A few examples would be: events, cook/take me out to dinner, or donation to world vision or a similar charity.
- Likewise I don’t want to force meaningless objects onto other people that they will then feel obligated to keep. Instead I need to know the people around me and figure out which gifts will improve their existence on this world.
- Often there is additional times off from work during the Christmas season. Instead of spending my time shopping or binge watching thousands of shows. Which I have done in excess in the past. I want to spend my time with people I care about. I will need to plan my holiday’s consolidating the times shopping and finding free time then scheduling with friends/family time during those free moments so I don't default to Netflix.
- Setting up habits and purchasing food before hand to allow me to not need to eat out as much and also ensuring that I have a collection of habits that allow me to continue to grow and not backslide. So today I need to now review my habits and improve the resiliency of to ensure that even when I am off schedule I can still succeed.
All of what is written above is me over thinking everything. However, I am so excited for this season and for the chances I will get to spend time with people I care about and find items that will improve their existence.